- Do ACUVUE® contact lenses contain PFAS?
Johnson & Johnson Vision does not use PFAS in our ACUVUE® soft contact lenses.
- What lens care solution should I recommend to my patients who wear ACUVUE® contact lenses?
Any Health Canada (HC) approved soft contact lens solution can be used with all products
ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™
- How does the ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ Light Intelligent Technology™ work?
These contact lenses quickly and seamlessly adjust from clear to dark and back in response to changing light. The lenses are activated by exposure to UV, and HEV light.1
- How does it look on my eye? Does it get dark?
The lenses become darker when activated by UV and/or HEV light.1 They were specifically designed to provide patient benefits* while minimizing the change to the appearance of the eye. While outdoors, the level of activation is always changing in response to the light, so in most situations the lens isn’t in the darkest state. These lenses also fade back to clear quickly when you come inside.1
- Does the lens activate in indoor light or only outdoor UV light?
The lens becomes dark in response to UV light and HEV light, outdoors. Even when this lens appears clear, it is working to filter harsh light.1
- What is the average time the lens takes to darken when exposed to outdoor light? What is the average time it takes to fade back, once no longer exposed to that light?
Activation and fade back time of the lens is dependent on a number of factors. ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ begins to darken as soon as it is exposed to sunlight and is dark in under a minute. The typical time to fade back when on the eye is within 90 seconds.1
- Can the lenses be worn in heat and cold? Are they affected by body temperature?
Yes, the lenses can be worn in various cold and hot temperature conditions. When worn, these lenses are constantly maintained at eye temperature. Therefore, environmental temperature would not have an effect with on-eye photochromic performance (activation, darkness, and fade rates).1,3
- Does it work behind the windshield?
Activation behind a car windshield will be limited. The photochromic material reacts to UV light, and car windshields block nearly 100% of UV light. There may be some activation based on its ability to react to High Energy Visible (HEV) light and the level of UV light transmitted through the side windows. It is important to note that ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ is not a replacement for sunglasses but can be worn with non-prescription sunglasses.1
- Can I wear these lenses when I’m driving?
Yes, these lenses can be worn while driving—during the day or at night.3,4
- Is there a benefit for sports?
Yes, beyond the convenience/freedom provided by contact lenses, these lenses offer a dynamic photochromic filter that helps to continuously filter the bright light, indoors and out.1
- Do I still need to wear sunglasses when I wear ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™?
Yes. While these lenses do provide UV**,^ protection to the areas they cover, other parts of the eye and surrounding areas are still exposed to UV light. For that reason, ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ are not intended as a replacement for sunglasses. The lenses can be worn with non-prescription sunglasses and should be considered a part of a total light management suite of solutions.3
- What is it made of? Materials, is it a surface coating?
It is not a surface coating. This first-of-its-kind5 contact lens is built using the proven ACUVUE® OASYS (senofilcon A) material combined with Transitions™ Light Intelligent Technology™ (photochromic additive) throughout the lens.1
- Can the photochromic additive leak out of the lens?
Similar to the UV blocker**,^ in all ACUVUE® lenses, the photochromic material within ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ is permanently bound throughout the lens and does not come out of the material.1
- Can the photochromic additive lose performance over time?
Yes, the lenses can lose some photochromic performance over time if they are not properly stored. Lenses must be stored away from direct sunlight, as indicated on the label. If properly stored, there should be no noticeable impact in performance during the two weeks of daily wear, for which these contact lenses are indicated.1
- What is the UV protection level?
ACUVUE® OASYS contact lenses with Transitions™ offer Class I — same Class of UV**,^ blocking as ACUVUE OASYS®, but with a higher level of blocking, 100% UVB and >99% UVA.**,^,1,2 Although UV-blocking contact lenses provide important added protection for patients, they should not be a replacement for sunglasses. Contact lenses should always be worn in conjunction with high-quality UV-blocking sunglasses and a wide-brimmed hat for maximum UV protection for the eyes.
- Do the lenses filter blue light?
Yes. ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ seamlessly adapts to balance the amount of indoor and outdoor light entering the eye, including filtering blue light* and blocking UV**,^ rays.1,2
- Why ACUVUE® OASYS reusable? Why 2 week?
ACUVUE® OASYS is about performance in demanding environments. With an indication for vision correction and the attenuation of bright light, ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ will help contact lens wearers manage the diverse types of light and varying intensities of brightness they face—indoors and outdoors—every day. That’s why it’s a great addition to the ACUVUE® OASYS family. ACUVUE® OASYS is the #1 selling brand of contact lenses worldwide.ß,6 Patients will love the benefits* of this product. Introducing the technology in a reusable lens allows most patients the ability to access these benefits.*,3
- Can this be used by patients without vision correction needs?
ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ is available with no vision correction incorporated (plano power). This lens is also indicated for the attenuation of bright light, as they contain a photochromic additive which dynamically absorbs light, so they can be prescribed to patients looking only for attenuation of bright light.
- What are the lens parameters?
Lens Powers: -12.00 to +8.00 Base Curve: 8.4 and 8.8 Material: senofilcon A2
- How long can I wear these contacts? Is there a time limit?
ACUVUE® OASYS Contact Lenses with Transitions™ are indicated for daily wear (frequent replacement) and are intended to be worn for up to two weeks (14 days).
- How should the lenses be stored and/or cleaned?
Consult with an eye care professional for proper wear and care of lenses. Lenses must be stored away from direct sunlight as indicated on the label. If the lenses are not stored properly, they may lose some photochromic performance. If stored properly, there should be no noticeable impact in performance during the 2 weeks of daily wear, for which the lenses are indicated.3
References & Footnotes
**Helps protect against transmission of harmful UV radiation to the cornea and into the eye.
*Ability to see comfortably in bright light.
+Calculated per ISO-8980-3 for 380-460nm (Blue Light Hazard Function (Bλ))
ß Euromonitor International; Eyewear 2018 edition; value sales at rsp, all retail channels, 2016 data; “Acuvue® family of brands” represents aggregated sales of following brands at GBN level; Acuvue® Oasys, 1-Day Acuvue® Moist, 1-Day Acuvue®, Acuvue® Advance, and Acuvue® 2.
^WARNING: UV-absorbing contact lenses are NOT substitutes for protective UV-absorbing eyewear such as UV-absorbing goggles or sunglasses because they do not completely cover the eye and surrounding area. You should continue to use UV-absorbing eyewear as directed. NOTE: Long-term exposure to UV radiation is one of the risk factors associated with cataracts. Exposure is based on a number of factors such as environmental conditions (altitude, geography, cloud cover) and personal factors (extent and nature of outdoor activities). UV-blocking contact lenses help provide protection against harmful UV radiation. However, clinical studies have not been done to demonstrate that wearing UV-blocking contact lenses reduces the risk of developing cataracts or other eye disorders. Consult your eye care professional for more information.
1. JJV Data on File 2018. Definition of ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ Light Intelligent Technology
2. JJV Data on File 2018. Material Properties: ACUVUE® OASYS Brand Contact Lenses with HYDRACLEAR Plus, ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ Light Intelligent Technology, and Other Reusable Contact Lenses
3. JJV Data on File 2018. ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ Light Intelligent Technology™ core messages and Q&A.
4. JJV Data on File 2018. ACUVUE® OASYS Contact Lenses with Transitions™ Light Intelligent Technology™ objective clinical claims.
5. FDA press release: FDA clears first contact lens with light-adaptive technology https://www.fda.gov/newsevents/newsroom/pressannouncements/ucm604263.htm, April 10th 2018.
6. JJV Data on File 2018. Euromonitor Certificate of Claim.
Lenses are not a replacement for sunglasses.
Important information for contact lens wearers: ACUVUE® Brand Contact Lenses are indicated for vision correction. As with any contact lens, eye problems, including corneal ulcers, can develop. Some wearers may experience mild irritation, itching or discomfort. Lenses should not be prescribed if patients have any eye infection, or experience eye discomfort, excessive tearing, vision changes, redness or other eye problems. Consult the package insert for complete information. Complete information is also available from Johnson & Johnson Vision Care division of Johnson & Johnson Inc., by calling 1-800-267-5098 or by visiting jnjvisionpro.ca.
Transitions, the Transitions logo and Transitions Light Intelligent Technology are trademarks of Transitions Optical, Inc. used under license by Transitions Optical Limited and Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc.