The toric contact lens with 99% first-fit success¶¹ for excellent practice efficiency
Published on May 18, 2021
15 Minutes Read
ACUVUE® OASYS 1-Day for ASTIGMATISM utilizes BLINK STABILIZED® Design & is made of the same lens material as ACUVUE® OASYS 1-Day.
BLINK STABILIZED® Design (BSD)
- Helps keep the lens in place, even with head & eye movement, for clear & stable vision during many of life’s activities2
- Harnesses the power of natural eyelid movement to align & stabilize the lens, while traditional peri- & prism ballast designs, such as stabilization with thick zones at 4 & 8 o’ clock position, may be affected by gravity to a greater degree2
BSD is more stable than prism ballast designs after lens insertion & during large versional eye movements.3
With subjects in a lying down position, BLINK STABILIZED® Design lens is shown to rotate <50% of other lenses & gives ½ line better logMAR VA4,5
BLINK STABILIZED® Design minimizes the risk of vertical prism for monocular astigmats.||2,6,7
ACUVUE® OASYS 1-Day for ASTIGMATISM does not have vertical prism in the optic zone, and has significantly less base down prism than most competitor toric soft lenses ll2
≥0.5 Δ vertical prism disparity between the 2 eyes could lead to binocular disturbance2; Vertical heterophoria is associated with motion sickness symptoms, eg: dizziness & nausea.6,7
¶Based on a clinical trial of 162 habitual toric contact lens wearers wearing ACUVUE® 1-Day for ASTIGMATISM; RX range: -1.50 to -4.00DS inclusive, 0.75 to 1.50DC inclusive & axes within 180°+/-15° or 90°+/-15°. *Lenses used were ACUVUE® ADVANCE for ASTIGMATISM Brand Contact Lenses & Soflens® Toric. llVertical heterophoria possibly caused by prism dissociation due to the presence of induced optical prism is a relevant factor for practitioners to consider when fitting toric contact lenses for monocular astigmats or those requiring a mix of toric soft contact lens designs. Clinical studies have not been done to fully characterize the effects of differences in base-down prism among different contact lenses.
ACUVUE® OASYS 1-Day for ASTIGMATISM provides extensive coverage in a stock daily disposable toric lens with comprehensive parameters for a simpler lens fit process8
- Parameter range covers 87% of astigmats8
- Has 40% more parameters than MyDay® Toric8
Lens material property of ACUVUE® OASYS 1-Day
Coefficient of friction (CoF) is comparable to the natural cornea (no lens wear).9
- Lower CoF contributes to improved comfort performance10
- ACUVUE® OASYS 1-Day has 93% LOWER CoF than DAILIES TOTAL1®, even after 18 hours of simulated wear‡
- In 30 clinical studies posted on www.clinicaltrials.gov, the ACUVUE® OASYS Brand family of Contact Lenses has never been beaten in comfort.†
What are Eye Care Professionals saying about their fitting experiences with ACUVUE® OASYS 1-Day for ASTIGMATISM?
- Rated extremely / very easy to fit by 96% of ECPs2
- 99% average overall fit success rate2 (n=324) (Criteria: rotation ≤20°, lens stability ≤5° movement on blink, acceptable fit)
- Designed for sphere-like ease2 - When fitting astigmats, ACUVUE® torics are as easy to fit as spherical lenses2 (Based on high fit success rate, number of lenses required & time to fit lenses during clinical studies)
- Designed for speed2 - The time to fit ACUVUE® torics is equivalent to the time to fit spherical lenses§12,13
†www.clinicaltrials.gov is a website maintained by the NIH. The 30 clinical studies evaluated subjective comfort as a primary or secondary endpoint for ACUVUE® OASYS Brand 2-Weekly Family and for ACUVUE® OASYS 1-Day with HydraLuxe® Technology. Review conducted as of October 29, 2021. ‡Defined as 18 hours of cycling between tear-like fluid (TLF) and air. In a comparative in vitro time course study, coefficient of friction was assessed as a function of cycling time in TLF for up to 18 hours. §Data reflects fitting low astigmats with 1-DAY ACUVUE® MOIST (spherical equivalent) and 1-DAY ACUVUE® MOIST for ASTIGMATISM, mean chair time of 9.0 minutes and 10.1 minutes, respectively; 95% UCI = 3.5 minutes.
1. Straker B et al. Fitting performance & efficiency with a new silicone hydrogel daily disposable toric contact lens. Poster presentation at GSLS Conference 2017. 2. JJV data on file 2021. ACUVUE® Brand Contact Lenses for ASTIGMATISM — Overall Fitting Success, Orientation Position, Rotational Stability & Vision Performance. 3. Zikos GA, Kang SS, Ciuffreda KJ et al. Rotational stability of toric soft contact lenses during natural viewing conditions. Optom Vis Sci 2007;84:11 1039-45. 4. McIlraith R, Young G, Hunt C. Toric lens orientation and visual acuity in non-standard conditions. CLAE 2010; 33 (1): 23-26. 5. Hall L et al. Effect of Head and Gaze Position on Toric Soft Contact Lens Performance. CLAE 2015; 38 (1). 6. Sulley A, Hawke R, et al. Resultant vertical prism in toric soft contact lenses. Contact Lens and Anterior Eye. 2015 Aug 31;38(4):253-7. 7. Jackson DN and Bedell HE. Vertical Heterophoria and Susceptibility to Visually-induced Motion Sickness. Strabismus. 2012. 20(1) 17-23. 8. JJV Data on File 2020. Proportion Astigmats Accommodated with ACUVUE® Brand Contact Lenses for ASTIGMATISM. 9. JJV Data on File 2020. Coefficient of friction of ACUVUE® OASYS Brand Contact Lenses (2-week & Daily Disposable) compared to human cornea. 10. Brennan NA. Contact lens based correlates of soft lens wearing comfort. Optom Vis Sci. 2009; 86: eAbstract 90957. 11. JJV Data on File 2020. Material Properties, 1-DAY ACUVUE® MOIST, 1-DAY ACUVUE® TruEye® and ACUVUE® OASYS 1-Day with HydraLuxe® Technology Brand Contact Lenses and other daily disposable contact lens brands. 12. JJV data on file 2015, Bilateral, subject-masked, randomized, cross-over study, 1 week DD wear with 1-DAY ACUVUE® MOIST for ASTIGMATISM and 1-DAY ACUVUE® MOIST, 60 soft CL wearers, USA, Mean age 27.5 yrs (range 20-44s). Mean Rx -3.68DS+/-2.01 & -1.28DC+/-0.3. (range +4.00 to -9.00DS; -0.75 to -1.75DC) axis range 0-180. 13. Cox S, Bernsten D, Bickle K, et al. Efficacy of toric contact lenses in fitting & patient-reported outcomes in contact lens wearers. Eye & Contact Lens:2018;44:1.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION ACUVUE® Contact Lenses are indicated for vision correction. As with any contact lens, eye problems, including corneal ulcers, can develop. Some wearers may experience mild irritation, itching or discomfort. Lenses should not be prescribed if patients have any eye infection, or experience eye discomfort, excessive tearing, vision changes, redness or other eye problems. Consult the package insert for complete information. Complete information is also available from Johnson & Johnson Vision Care division of Johnson & Johnson Inc., by calling 1-800-267-5098 or by visiting jnjvisionpro.ca.
All third-party trademarks herein are the intellectual property of their respective owners.
© Johnson & Johnson Vision Care division of Johnson & Johnson Inc. 2022